Skip to content

Rev Thomas Angus Morrison

1893 – 1941: Rev Thomas Angus Morrison
Thomas Angus Morrison was born in Motherwell but the family moved to Glasgow when he was very young. He went to school in Dennistoun and left school to become an engineer. His parents, however had always wanted him to take up the ministry so he began his College studies and qualified for the Church. He was an Assistant at Plantation Church , Govan for a short period and came to St Mary’s as Assistant to Rev Mr Caven in 1890. When Mr Caven died in 1893, the Rev Mr Morrison was unanimous choice to be his successor. He was the first minister of the Church who was not appointed by a Patron and he had to pay a sum of £400 to the Patron for this privilege.
In 1894, he married a local girl called Mary Smillie of Ferndean and they had a family of seven children who were all baptised in St Mary’s Mr Morrison was a such a success in his new post that the congregation grew rapidly. This fact, allied to the state of repair of the old church made him begin his efforts to build a new church. He entered this task with his usual energy travelling all over Britain to study the design of Churches. He got an architect, George Bell of Glasgow, interested and like the present building is the result.
Mr Morrison was very concerned with the loss of life in the 1914-1918 War and five Commemorative Services were held in our church in honour of the fallen. He was also responsible for the Book of Remembrance which can still be seen built into the Reading Lectern. In 1919, he celebrated his silver Jubilee as minister with a special service conducted by Rev Ogilvie of Cumbernauld. He was responsible for our War Memorial Window being installed.
Mr Morrison died suddenly in 1941 after serving his Church for a period of nearly 51 years.

%d bloggers like this: