Thomas Angus Morrison was born in Motherwell but the family moved to Glasgow when he was very young. He went to school in Dennistoun and left school to become an engineer. His parents, however had always wanted him to take up the ministry so he began his College studies and qualified for the Church. He was an Assistant at Plantation Church , Govan for a short period and came to St Mary's as Assistant to Rev Mr Caven in 1890. When Mr Caven died in 1893, the Rev Mr Morrison was unanimous choice to be his successor. He was the first minister of the Church who was not appointed by a Patron and he had to pay a sum of £400 to the Patron for this privilege.
In 1894, he married a local girl called Mary Smillie of Ferndean and they had a family of seven children who were all baptised in St Mary's Mr Morrison was a such a success in his new post that the congregation grew rapidly. This fact, allied to the state of repair of the old church made him begin his efforts to build a new church. He entered this task with his usual energy travelling all over Britain to study the design of Churches. He got an architect, George Bell of Glasgow, interested and like the present building is the result.
Mr Morrison was very concerned with the loss of life in the 1914-1918 War and five Commemorative Services were held in our church in honour of the fallen. He was also responsible for the Book of Remembrance which can still be seen built into the Reading Lectern. In 1919, he celebrated his silver Jubilee as minister with a special service conducted by Rev Ogilvie of Cumbernauld. He was responsible for our War Memorial Window being installed.
Mr Morrison died suddenly in 1941 after serving his Church for a period of nearly 51 years.
Peter Brodie was born in Airdrie in 1916, the son of Robert and Margaret Brodie . He began his ministry as Assistant to Rev Morrison in our church in 1940. When Mr Morrison died in 1941 Dr Brodie left Kirkintilloch. He was surprised and delighted when he received the call to be Parish minister in Autumn of 1941 and was inducted to charge in January 1942. Always interested in serving his King and Country in this time of war, he was one of the first to volunteer for Home Guard and was later to serve with the Church of Scotland's Mobile Canteen Service in Normandy from late 1944 until the end of the war in Europe in 1945.
On his return, he was instrumental in setting in motion the fund raising activities which eventually led to the building of the new halls.
Dr Brodie left St Mary's in 1947, having received a call to a bigger charge at St Mungo's Alloa . In 1978 he became the Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. Dr Brodie retired from St Mungo's,Alloa in 1987 and sadly died in the mid 90's.
Frank Haughton was born in Irvine in 1915, the youngest of a family of five .He attended the local Primary School and went to Irvine Royal Academy where he gained his University qualification. He started at Glasgow University in 1934 and graduated M.A. in 1937. By this he had decided on a career in the ministry and entered Trinity College gained his B.D. degree in 1940.
Mr Haughton began his ministry as a locum at Fullarton Church, Ayrshire before receiving the call to this first charge at Gallatown Parish Church Kirkcaldy in 1942. In Kirkcaldy Mr Haughton set the pattern of his future ministry by totally involving himself in all the work of that church. His testimonial from them on leaving to come to St Mary's is evidence of the respect he gained, -
We can fully testify to the admirable and conscientious manner in which he carried out his duties, to his efficiency as an organiser and to the enthusiastic thoroughness he applies to all tasks assigned to him.
Rev Mr Haughton was inducted to our church on the 9th September 1947. He immediately took a leading role in all organisations and forming of many new ones including the Boys Brigade in 1959.
Mr Haughton retired on 2nd September 2000 after 53 years at St Mary's. Mr Haughton still continued to worship in the Church until his death on 31st March 2013 aged 97.
Our Current Minister - Rev Mark Johnstone was Inducted as the fourth Minister of the current St Mary Parish Church on Thursday 14th June 2001.
Mark was born and brought up in Glasgow (Drumchapel). Trained for the Ministry of the Church of Scotland. I studied at Glasgow Uni. (M.A., B.D.). Married, had a baby son. Became Minister in Denny (Stirlingshire); Chaplain at Stirling Royal, Falkirk Royal and Strathcarron Hospice. Daughter and another son born. Moved to Toronto (Canada). Minister at Northminster United, Willowdale, North York. Returned to The Church of Scotland St Mary's Parish Church Kirkintilloch. Parish Minister, Convenor of Mission and Discipleship Council of the Church of Scotland; convenor of Education and Nurture Task Group. Responsibilities for the educational and nurturing work with Children, Youth and Adults of the church.
|Hobbies||Rugby, Dancing and football|
|Place of beginning||Glasgow peripheral housing scheme in the 1970's —'Drumchapel'|
|Junior Citizen of the year||Drumchapel|
|Glasgow University||Philosophy & Sociology; graduating in Social Sciences, Divinity and beyond|
|Church of Scotland||Parish Chaplin; Psychiatric Hospital (X3) & Hospice in central Scotland|
|United Church of Canada||North Toronto|